THE FIRST STEP TO REPEAL:
WIN the HOUSE, DEFUND OBAMACARE
OBAMACARE HAS MORE IN COMMON WITH PROHIBITON
THAN SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE
A lively debate ensued yesterday on whether it’s possible/probable to repeal ObamaCare.
It most certainly is, and readers only have to look at the past to find where Americans repealed another highly-unpopular program that was rammed down their throats by those who thought that Government Knows Best: Prohibition.
The talk of repealing ObamaCare was everywhere in the blogosphere. A quick round-up:
* Michele Bachmann, Big Government: We Must Repeal this Bill!
* Bill Whittle, PajamasMedia: FREE WILL AND DESTINY
* Bill Kristol, Weekly Standard: Special Editorial: Repeal
* Jeffrey H. Anderson, The Corner: The Battle Is Lost, and the War Has Begun
* Ace, AofSHQ: We Can Repeal This
* Paul Hsieh, PajamasMedia: ObamaCare: The Coming Battles
Many commentators–some on the Left, some on the Right–insist that once a historic action (entitlement) is taken, it’s impossible to reverse. Which calls into question how we got rid of the whole repealing Prohibition thing.
Believe it or not, this is the proper comparison of ObamaCare: not Social Security, not Medicare. ObamaCare has more in common with Prohibition.
* Both ObamaCare and Prohibition are “noble experiments” which attempt to regulate personal human behavior by an unwieldy, gargantuan federal apparatus. In fact, Prohibition was known as the “Noble Experiment.”
* Both programs are highly-unpopular with a majority of the population.
* Both programs were promulgated by those who thought that government was smarter than ordinary Americans.
* Both programs are examples of the government’s “forcing you to do something you’d rather not do for your own good” philosophy.
It took a Constitutional amendment to make Prohibition the law of the land. While Nancy Pelosi might insist that the unprecedented government power grabs against its citizens are totally Constitutional (“Are you serious?”), we’ll see.
FIVE STEP PLAN TO REPEAL
Read the rest: 5-Step Repeal Plan: ObamaCare is More Like Prohibition than Social Security at DBKP.